Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Four Choruses of a Broken Back

I.

I'm not the kind of person who can ask for help.

Yet, when I put out the slightest plea,
so many respond.
A humbling throng of friends
who love, support, suggest, pray.
Offering more than I could ever even say ~
money, healing, company.

I read through their notes and mail
and chide myself for these tears.
That I sit here, self-pitying
still after all these years.
Crying out for Mom. Bawling again for Daddy.
Calling to the loves of my life
who always took such gentle care...

I want them here.

I want the ones that can no longer be
here at my side
smoothing my hair
doting on me as I lay helpless and immobile.
Love in their eyes.
Just to once more see that look
of love for me in their eyes.

I cannot be loved too much.
I can never be loved enough.
I could make friends with all the people of the world.
Could be adored by fans from sea to sea.
Could be a respected leader in my nation or community
but it would pass me right by.
Register only in my thoughts as a humbling gift
that I am ever lavished with love.
Without even asking, it has always enveloped me.

My heart holds out for the love that has passed me by,
and this is why I cry, alone.
Lying broken in my home.
For my father's friendship
and my mother's hands...

this is why I can no longer stand.


II.

The ghosts have taken up residence ~
shacking up in my back,
calling to me in painful cries,
demanding my attention.

I know them all well.

I see them clearly as the masseuse kneads and prods them
away from my spine, out of my muscles.
Tries to bribe them from my nervous system with cooling and heat.
They won't budge - they laugh at my attempts.
They've learned these tricks by now,
have banded together and
ain't goin' no-how.

They've plastered themselves to my vertebrae and sacrum.
At war with my indifference,
they shoot arrows of flashing pain
through my thigh to my knee.
Cocked my hips til I'm
crooked as can be.
I look in the mirror -
my body is crippled and lame.

They want to be called out by name:

Joey's Hands; Mr. Mean;
Michael's Love for Little Emily.
My husband is there, as are
nieces and nephew.
And though they hide their faces,
I'm certain my sisters are feeding at the root.

What more can I do?
I journal, I cry,
talk to friends and the shrink.
Try to avoid thinking of it all too much,
to avoid feeling weak (like now - see? They always get their way!)
Trying to move forward, independent and strong,
focused on songs and art and play and peace,
but these ghosts are always lingering in me...


III.

And now she's feeling sad
about a boy.
(her back says): "Puh-leeze.
What a distraction!
I'm in some REAL pain here girlfriend!"

In their brief love affair
there wasn't even enough to qualify
or justify
the space in her heart she's given him.
(Is she ego-tripping out simply because of his rejection?)

Yes, he's a good lover (like him, and him, and her)
Carries on fine conversation (like Dancing Pants and the DJ on her station)
Makes her feel at ease (ah - you got me there! A novelty...)
But still, what's the thrill?

She's certain he's not the man of her dreams.
Knows full well they aren't destined to be.
Yet, she's chosen to place him
above the other men
who are wooing and cooing and begging
to get into her heart, and her lovely lady parts.

Not smart, my little friend...


IV.

The pain in my back is my inner child
throwing a temper tantrum.
I feel her pain.
I know her rage and anger
her violence
masking her fear of being alone
in the big world.

She digs her heels into my spine,
demanding: "I want to be loved!
I want to be the most important somebody
to somebody
that anybody's ever known!"

"Hush child!" I tell her, "You already are, my dove!
I'm loving you, loving you
as hard as anyone ever could! "

She gnashes teeth into my tailbone.
She karate-chops my lower vertebrae
into bone-white china plates,
to serve up sashimi of psoas muscle.

She refuses to listen, or to believe.

She is ever just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment