Friday, April 30, 2010

Growing Pains - ouch!

I'm trying so hard to change the face of my song writing. Lyrically, I love what I do. The voices I compose are haunting, and lovely. But the natural tendency always leads to a more ambient, slow, moody vibe - which I also do love. However, after years and years and over 70-80 songs in this, "my" style, I feel it doesn't best represent what I'm capable of on a performance level.

After years of singing in rock bands, and being looked to and counted on for the big, rock voice (and, always, the "wailing") I realize there's none of that in my own songs. It's the very thing that gets the live audiences so amped up and energetic. It's what I've always been most complimented for. So now, trying to find beats and a style of music that captures the feel of my original style, but adds this other layer and energy to it is really challenging me!!!

With almost every endeavor, even if I like singing what I write, and feel comfortable with the lyrics, I feel like I'm imitating other singers, other styles that are already present in the world of modern music. I start to wonder and worry, and edit, and re-edit, and feel so frustrated and exhausted by the process. The other reality is that there are deadlines staring me in the face, so there's no time to be leisurely, and breathe and let it flow naturally - God only knows how long that would take.

I close my eyes, see myself on stage, hearing this music, envisioning my performance. I can see it. It's completely different from how I've ever seen it before. I can see people liking it. But, I can also see people saying, "Yeah, it was good, but not GREAT." My repertoire of previously written music has a different effect - it may not be music for the masses, but those who like it tend to LOVE it. Isn't there a happy medium in there somewhere? Anyone have a map?


No comments:

Post a Comment