Saturday, October 30, 2010

Me, But Not Me (1997)

(Avalon...)

Raised to believe in one life, one God,
one chance to Be,
I did not give thought to other lives
which may share a space within me, inside.

I confess, I am no prophetess,
no psychic who sees
me, but not me, in a time
long before me...

Yet, I have had dreams of a land that I know:
a stream, thick with trees,
and hushed hills to call home.
This land that I know, with its
Rings of Stone,
its apples, and faeries,
and thick mist hanging o'er ~
I can feel this land in the palms of my hands.
I feel my very soul has travelled the Sands of Time
and Space, to bring me here,
to this who-I-am now,
to this pretty good year.

But, then why do I long to be whom I once was ~
this woman, this priestess, an old crone before dust?
There were things I knew then that have escaped me by now...
No, not escaped... just hidden somehow.
It seems I could learn the secrets of the Earth,
the mysteries of Life,
the miracle of Birth.

Or, perhaps, if I dared to resist my own fears,
I'd throw out my calendar and live
a different year.
Not by months, nor weeks, nor days, nor hours,
but by when the Moon turns
and when the trees flower.

Or, still even more daring, I could now declare
that I don't believe God is in space somewhere,
but that the Goddess now holds reign o'er my spirit,
and She lives not in space, but inside me ~
hear it!
When I sing, She moves through me,
Her beauty and light.
Her passion is my freedom.
Her pain, my darkest night.

And I could start tending to mending Her Earth,
to live a clean life all covered in dirt,
and vow to share with the world what I know
about Birth and Life and calendars to throw.

But oh! There I go
starting again to believe that
I am me, but not me,
and these are my dreams.
But, the who-I-am-now has dreams of her own,
and though they are different, in some ways
it shows that she, who is not me - but once was -
is still me!
Still looking for faeries, and still craving babies.

And I can grow food, and I can mend clothes,
I can honor the Moon, and I even still know that
one life, one God, one chance to Be
may exist for some, but certainly not for me.
It seems the Goddess I know enjoys giving me life ~

and though each one is different, each one is right...

No comments:

Post a Comment